10 Reasons Why You Should Get the Death Star 10188
Sat, August 28, 2010, 22:27 39 Comments
I mentioned I would be creating a post about the Death Star 10188 yesterday, during a chat with some AFOLs at a local meet-up so here it is… 😀
The Death Star…
- Is the most wanted set on Brickset, bar none…
- Has the highest number of minifigs (24!) in any buildable set, excluding chess sets and community people (Dacta) sets. Also in just one set, you pretty much get all the major characters in the original trilogy – which other set would give you so many SW minifigs?
- Has 6 exclusive minifigures and droids only found in this set: Luke Skywalker™ (Stormtrooper™ outfit), Han Solo™ (Stormtrooper outfit), Assassin Droid™, Interrogation Droid, Death Star Droid and 2 Death Star Troopers™!
- Has a Brickset rating of 4.8, which is the 2nd highest rating given (highest is 4.9) among the thousands of sets listed on Brickset.
- Has 3,803 pieces, and is the 4th largest set ever created by TLG based on number of pieces (after the 10189 Taj Mahal, 10179 UCS Millenium Falcon & 10214 Tower Bridge).
- Can be used to re-create scenes in both Episodes IV and IV (2 for the price of 1!).
- Has a ‘wow’ factor that few other sets (SW or otherwise have) – it is an instant centrepiece of a Lego collection and is an incredible attention draw even on non-AFOLs.
- Can be used to reenact the final duel between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in the Emperor’s Throne Room – an iconic moment in the SW original trilogy. Set also has loads of play features in the many other rooms included such as detention block cell and trash compactor.
- Was released in June 2008 – not much more time before end of life since typically Lego sets last 3 years at the longest…
- Is now priced at S$599.90 pre-order at ToysHunt… Compared to US$399.90 and £274.99 in US & UK respectively. Update on 1 Sep: TH said that there was a pricing mistake from Lego Singapore and the correct price should be S$799.90. Members can get at 10% off, or at S$699.90 for payment in cash.
Apparently they do not intend to honour the pre-orders unless pre-payment has been made in full (less than 5 pax). Think they are lucky I’m not one of those who ordered… I will probably gather people to complain to CASE (Consumer Association of Singapore) to force them to honour the commitment… ha, yeah me scary woman… never stand in the way of a gal and her shopping! 😀
Ok, so the last point is more for Singapore based AFOLs who may still be hesitating to fork out S$600 for a set… seriously, if you don’t buy now there is a good chance you’ll regret later!
As for the power of a good set review, I found one by I Scream Clone from Eurobricks: Link to EB
Ok, pics to follow:
Battle inside the Death Star™! Recreate the action and adventure of the Star Wars™ movies with the ultimate Death Star playset! This amazingly detailed battle station features an incredible array of minifigure-scale scenes, moving parts, characters and accessories from Episodes IV and VI on its multiple decks, including the Death Star control room, rotating turbolaser turrets, hangar bay with TIE Advanced starfighter, tractor beam controls, Emperor’s throne room, detention block, firing laser cannon, Imperial conference chamber, droid maintenance facility, and the powerful Death Star superlaser…plus much more! Swing across the chasm with Luke and Leia, face danger in the crushing trash compactor, and duel with Darth Vader for the fate of the galaxy!
- Includes 24 minifigures and droids, plus all-new Dianoga™ trash compactor monster!
- Includes 6 new and exclusive minifigures and droids only found in this set: Luke Skywalker™ (Stormtrooper™ outfit), Han Solo™ (Stormtrooper outfit), Assassin Droid™, Interrogation Droid, Death Star Droid and 2 Death Star Troopers™!
- Also includes Luke Skywalker, Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi™, C-3PO™, R2-D2™, Princess Leia™, Chewbacca™, Luke Skywalker (Jedi Knight), Darth Vader™, Grand Moff Tarkin™, Emperor Palpatine™, 2 Stormtroopers, 2 Emperor’s Royal Guards™, R2-Q5™, and mouse droid!.
- Movie-authentic Death Star environments include the Superlaser control room and target monitor, Imperial conference chamber, TIE Advanced hangar bay with moving launch rack, Emperor’s throne room, droid maintenance room, detention block, trash compactor, and much more!
- Rescue Princess Leia from the detention block cell, then escape through the secret hatch to the trash compactor below!
- Reenact the final duel between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader in the Emperor’s Throne Room!
- Death Star measures 16” (41cm) tall and 16½” (42cm) wide!
- TIE Advanced measures 3½” (9cm) wide!