LEGO 2010: An AFFOL’s Year in Retrospect
Thu, December 30, 2010, 21:34 4 Comments
Update on 31 Dec: I heard from a reliable source that the new modular will be a Pet Shop in Q3’2011. 🙂
2010 is a rather significant year in my AFFOL life. It’s the year I started this blog, and in this past year I think my knowledge of all things LEGO has grown significantly… Figures wise the blog has grown from the handful of readers per day in the 1st month, to the thousand-plus readers that visit today. Looking at the blog stats, we look good for 300,000 hits within 2 days, which is a good number to end the year I think. 🙂
Here’s my wrap-up of LEGO-related news that was leaked, reported and speculated in 2010 before we move on to 2011.
Looking at what was reported over 2010, I wonder if we’ll all go through the same cycle of leaks, plugs, etc in 2011? I noticed a particular trend… thanks to Grogall and Whung for bringing us news of so many sets. 🙂
- 2010’s modular set the 10211 Grand Emporium pics were leaked – AFOLs cheered and TLG tried to yank the pics, but not before the pics went viral anyway.
- The new Harry Potter sets were confirmed for October release from an African toy store website, and displayed a few weeks later in the London Toy Fair. After a hiatus of 3 years, it was most welcome news for fans who missed the earlier releases.
- Loads of pics of new sets – Prince of Persia, Toy Story 3, Star Wars, & Harry Potter, all out on the net either from retailers’ websites or from Toy Fair photos.
- Modular set, the 10211 Grand Emporium is officially launched (or as Huw described as “the worst-kept secret in recent LEGO history”).
- Slow month in general, some polybag/promotional set news, release of LEGO Games in the USA (finally) and release of Architecture series in Europe and finally the official release of Prince of Persia sets in the USA (Europe followed in April).
- Castle fans debated on the new Kingdom sets pics and factions from an online store.
- Barcodes on Collectible Minifig Series 1 speculated and quickly decoded, and the frenzy for these little minifigs start as sales commenced.
- Fans cheered a new LEGO Truck 3221, and the Toy Story 3 sets start to be released for sale.
- Stars Wars month, and promos in May, as new SW sets are released and older sets discounted.
- News of 10213 Space Shuttle leaked and then officially announced.
- Busy month for City fans as set pics of 8403 City House, Harry Potter, new trains and the Fan’s choice 8404 City Public Transport are found.
- From Japan comes news and pics of the City & Kingdoms Advent Calendars.
- Most of the summer sets are released for sale.
- Collectible Minifig Series 2 pics via a German site and Series 3 confirmed not to have barcodes. Series 1 sells out nearly everywhere.
- Latest Architecture set The White House found, and the 7848 TRU delivery truck and 3 more Star Wars sets.
- From Japan again comes more new set news of 10216 Winter village bakery and 10214 ‘Tower Bridge. Gizmodo announces the new 10212 Imperial Shuttle.
- Yet more summer sets are released for sale.
- Collectible Minifig series 2 spotted for sale. Barcode decoders come out soon after.
- 10215 UCS Obi-wan’s Jedi Starfighter announced.
- 1st Pirates of the Caribbean minifig dangled at San Diego Comic Convention hinting at the new series.
- Cubedudes at SDCC start a mini-craze.
- David Beckham announces he’s an AFOL, & Taj Mahal sales jump 600%.
- Summer Star Wars sets released in USA.
- 2011 trade catalogues are leaked, and TLG tries it best to stopper them.
- 10216 Winter Village Bakery officially announced
- Yet more 2011 set pictures (and Collectible Minifg Series 3 pics) leaked and TLG stoppers them again.
- TLG reports healthy profits.
- TLG loses its appeal to have its 2×4 brick protected by trademark law.
- 10217 Diagon Alley for Harry Potter theme is announced.
- 2011 NinjaGo & Pharaoh’s Quest themes have their micro-sites.
- LEGO Universe opens a whole new world to gaming fans.
- DK teams up with LEGO to build a world record breaking Star Wars mosiac.
- Dan Jezek, founder of Bricklink, passes away.
- New Architecture set, Rockerfeller Centre unveiled.
- LEGO & NASA partnership announced, along with City space sets.
- More Spring 2011 sets and set pics are available. (Star Wars, Ninjago, Pharoah’s Quest, Atlantis, City, Technic, Creator)
- Pirates of the Caribbean sets confirmed and set descriptions shortly after.
- Collectible Minifig Series 3 dot codes decoded. (better code sheets HERE)
- Fans find that magnet sets are now glued.
- Collectible Minifig Series 4 pics leaked.
- More Summer 2011 sets and themes leaked. (Cars, summer Kingdoms, Creator, City, Technic, Star Wars & Alien Conquest.)
Think I missed anything significant? Let me know k? 🙂
Looking back, the piece of news/rumour originally blogged here in October has not been verified… i.e. modular set in July 2011, details of the 2011 winter set and the ‘girly theme’. All three being sets I would be very interested in. No further news of a possible Sydney Opera House set that I blogged in July too.
P.S. I noticed this would be my 400th blog post and thought it’ll be nice to have something to end the year.
P.P.S. Since I only started my blog in end-April, I referred to Brickset‘s wonderfully organised news. Link HERE.